Monday, August 30, 2010

A little Bit about Bits

So as Im getting closer to putting Milo (back) into a shank bit, Im researching what exactly may be the best option for him.

About a year and a half ago, I thought Milo was ready to move up into the shank. Unfortunetly, he was not, and we had to go backwards and retrace our steps, making sure each piece in the snaffle was 100% before I wanted to move onto the shank again.

This is the bit I had put him in, the Myler Level 2
What I liked about it was that it has total freedom where the shank meets the mouthpiece, so it can rotate there. Unfortunetly, I think this may have been a problem for Milo. Being as it moves, I think it was confusing him because it wasnt applying leverage like an indirect pressured bit should, it was acting like a wannabe snaffle. He was more hollowed out in it and began to evade it by flipping his head up (back then though, I also didnt understand being round and soft as I do now). It also doesnt have the jointed mouthpiece that Milo is used to. The one think that I still like about it is the length of the shank. But, all in all, I dont think I want to put him back into this bit.

So my bit searching has begun, as I want to find something I think may work before that perfect opportunity to put him into one. Ive been thinking that a shank snaffle will be the best option, keeping the mouthpiece the same but just incorporating leverage now.

I found this little s shanked snaffle from sstack.com and like the design of it.
Its a shorter shanked S than most, which should be good for transitioning him into a leverage bit, and it also has a jointed mouthpiece with copper inlay (which Milo likes). However, the jointed piece doesnt quite look the same as the snaffle that we are working in now. It is designed to be pinch free (or though they advertise). This bit is a good price at $23.95 too.

What kind of leverage/short shanked bit do you use, or which have you found to be most beneficial for that important swich from snaffle to shank? All opinions welcomed.

Next, naturally would be reins. I currently have a set of eight foot split reins that are 5/8" thick. I was using them with the snaffle previously until I got my mecate reins. Since the slobber straps are both not intended for a shank bit and therefore will not fit on one, split reins are necessary. However, I would like to get a set that is 3/4" thick to add a little more weight than the 5/8" that I currently have.

The worst thing about rein shopping online, is that you cant feel the quality of the reins. I like a supple rein that isnt stiff in my hands. Of course, some of that will change after use. What are your favorite set of reins? Who makes them? Why are they your favorite?

And if you have any tips or know any articles for transitioning into the leverage bit, send them my way!

An edit: I had posted on Horse and Rider's Facebook page (my go-to for training advice and articles) about how I was hoping for an article on transitioning from snaffle to shank. Here is their reply:  We have a good tip from Bob Avila on this: Don't even think about making this transition until you can reliably guide and control your horse while riding one-handed in the snaffle, with the reins bridged in that one hand. If the horse doesn't know how to neck rein in the snaffle, and isn't guidable off your leg at the same time, he's not ready for ANY shanked bit.

Really good point. I can probably reliably ride loosley one handed about 90%, where the 10% he forgets about my seat a bit, however I have mostly only ridden one handed during rodeo/drill team practice or at the actual rodeo, where he gets a little hot and excited. I need to evaluate where he actually is at ... while not being at a rodeo. Updates on this later....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the broken snaffle mouthpiece with shanks - I think that sends confusing messages to the horse. Mark Rashid has an interesting piece on his website about this topic, and I tend to agree with what he says there. I prefer a shank where the mouthpiece is fixed and in one piece. It may be that he didn't like the roller Mylar mouthpiece because he has a large tongue. You might consider trying a different mouthpiece - a low or medium port might give good tongue relief if that's what was bothering him. Just some thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking something like this:

www.123tack.com/myler-5--hbt-shank-medium-wide-port-comfort-snaffle--mb-05-.html

paint_horse_milo said...

Thanks for the comments Kate.

Milo has such a soft mouth, I dont feel he ever needs to have a port in his mouth. But I will head your advice and keep it in mind. Thanks.

paint_horse_milo said...

Well Story if youre looking for a rein with more heft, the 5/8 wouldnt be the way to go IMO. While it may be "double" I just dont see it being comfortable to hold, as your trainer said. I have personally tried the 3/4 and really like the feel of them better, they drap nicer and have more heft to them.

After reading your assessment too, I think I may just give the Myler another try. Last I used it Milo was a lot less educated, I think the best way to determine how he likes it is to try it again.

in2paints said...

When it was time to switch Lilly over to her "big girl bit", I went with a spoon bit. I was working with a trainer at the time and he thought it would be the best style of bit to help her transition.

While they don't carry this bit any longer, this is the exact bit I had for Lilly:
http://www.rods.com/Good-Water-Spoon-Bit-by-Partrade,3130.html

At first it seemed like a good choice and she worked well in it, but after working her in the bit for a few months, I stopped ridng western and switched back to hunt seat only. I also switched her from a kimberwick spoon bit to her beloved french snaffle, so when I started riding western again about a year later, I decided the bit was way too much for her. If I so much as picked up on the reins even slightly, she would respond quite drastically.

So I ended up getting her a french link style bit that's similar to her hunt seat bit, just with shanks. I know that style fits her mouth and she seems much happier now. (I can't find a link for the bit, of course, but if it's something you might be interested in, I can look some more.)

I'd be surprised if you don't go through a few bits before you find one Milo likes. I know I sure did!