Saturday, December 12, 2009

What a Good Evening

Firstly, a long time no see friend of mine came to visit Milo and I before she moved out of state. Which was great to see her again. She also is very horse savvy and always has good horse related (and life) advice. So while showing her Milo and some of his capabilities, we were able to have some good conversation, and she helped open my eyes some more.

Long story short, here are a few areas I need to work on:
Remember the sequence of progression, 1, 2, 3, 4. I skip a few of those, and I need to go back to subtle cues, she displayed them with Milo very well and really opened my eyes to him, and some of his childish behaviors.
I need to work on his hind end more, and making him less defensive over it. As it will also help us under saddle.
I need to quit micromanaging our rides. Yes, Milo is going to look over in the scary corner, but when he is still listening and focusing theres no need to overreact about it.
Nose in and supple while backing.
From a canter to a Whoa, include a good back after the stop. Duh! Why didnt I think of that?? (only after a few more issues are worked out during the lope)
I need to remember why I love to ride, and why I love Milo. I saw why again today.
Include more verbal cues.
and I think thats it...

It was great to see my old friend again, and I will really miss her after she leaves. But thats what blogging and facebook is for, to keep reconnected with others.

No comments: