Monday, December 14, 2009

How it Happened

Today I am simply going to post the story of how I met Milo. This was actually my first college paper. Enjoy.

After four months of searching through pages of online ads, none of which met up to my standards, I was finally on my way to one who exceeded my expectations. Not only was this horse conformationally correct and sound, but he was also bred for western pleasure, exactly what I wanted to train for. His pedigree spoke wonders about his capabilities and disposition. He was only three years old, but I knew that he would grow to the size I needed, being 5 foot 9. His name was Milo, which my whole family got a kick out of because "Milo" is my Dad's middle name.

I nervously ate my hot dog, swallowing it whole as if I was starving. The three hour drive to see Milo seemed like it took all day, and I worried we would never reach him before dark.

"Exit 179! Exit here! Exit here!" I exclaimed. Finally getting off the highway felt like I was only mere moments away from seeing him.

Dad and I drove through the small town of Battle Ground, and pulled into a paved driveway. I immediately spotted him before the car even stopped. Past the large brown house, across a long grass field, and between a few tree branches, I saw him, prancing and pacing in a small round pen, eager for dinner, as it was already six o'clock.

I stepped out of the car and began to make small talk with Milo's owner, Kim, while constantly looking at the beautiful horse. It was a cloudy overcast day, June 16, but nothing could dampen my excitement. There was a calm cool breeze, making the tall green grass dance and sway. We ambled down to Milo, it seemed my father and Kim were set to slow motion, and that we would never make it down the windy dirt pathway leading to Milo. My insides quivered as I saw him look our way. There sat a lonely old saddle by the round pen, and a dirty grooming brush.

Milo was exactly as the as described, only more handsome if that was possible. His coat was a beautiful copper brown with a hint of gold. Even though he desperately needed a good groom to remove the dust and dirt, and his tail needed to be brushed and conditioned, I could see color shining through the grit. He has a beautiful flaxen mane and tail that was a combination of blond, white, and chestnut. He has simple white markings along his belly and neck. They were uneven and blotchy, however, perfect for his breed and giving him character. His brilliant white face was symmetrical, forming a triangle up between his ears. The kind expression in his eyes made me want to hug him. He had a large personable brown eye with white around called "sclera" giving him a human look. His other eye was a brilliant sky blue. Milo's dancing hooves where white, with one out of place black hoof, almost showing his goofy character.

Kim began to work with him for me, casting him in all directions and showing me his abilities. I studied his movements, watching the way he carried himself in grandeur. His footfalls were perfect and in sync, and he was overall balanced and agile. I thought his manners could use some work as he had no respect for Kim, pushing into her, chewing on the lead rope, and acting like a big spoiled baby.

But then it was my turn to ride him. He was childish and disrespectful wiggling in all directions and refusing to hold a trot. However, in only a few minutes, his immature behavior changed to one of attention and desire to learn. I could feel the blank canvas underneath me, ready to be painted. It was a moment of assuredness; I had found my perfect equine match, and we understood each other entirely.

I dismounted, quite satisfied. I loved him more with the respectfulness she showed me on the ground. He stood for a good five minutes, calmly licking my hand as a dog would love on his master. His childish ways had almost vanished, and we immediately clicked.

Kim spoke with us about the fine line details, and no matter how much I loved Milo, I told her I would have to think this purchase over, as buying a horse is much like marriage.

The entire ride home, I explained to my Dad what I liked about Milo, as my father is not a horse savvy man. Emotions were swimming inside me, and I was quite sure I had made up my mind. I emailed Kim a few days later letting her know that we wanted to purchase Milo. There were some issues on lining up a truck and trailer to fetch Milo in, but we eventually got everything mapped out, and picked Milo up on June 30, 2007 about 6:10 pm arriving home a little after 9. Fortunately, it was summertime, and my friend Elena and I stayed with Milo for a while after we put him in the facility owner's arena, watching the way he observed his surroundings and jogging around. Milo was the perfect equine match for me, and in the coming summer would show me his unique personality and abilities.

Here is Milo and I, our first ride together June 16, 2007.

No comments: