Friday, January 22, 2010

Thoughts for Today...

Today started out as a typical Friday; turn out Milo, clean horse pastures, chat with some people at the barn. And since it was such a nice day here in the PNW and rain free, I rode in the lower outdoor arena which was a nice change of pace.

A friend of mine who attended the cattle clinic with me last weekend brought her horse out to the farm today, and we "played cow", one of the techniques we learned at the clinic for schooling horses on a cow down the fence. We both swapped out who would run as the cow, with the other working as the rider/horse. I really love this exercise because its a great way to keep the horse tuned into you while trotting, stopping, turning, loping, stopping, backing, etc down the fence as the "cow" is. But I must say, I think Milo liked working a real cow more than the "horse cow". Im really pleased too, this past clinic has really given Milo and I a lot to chew on and work with. Definitely money well spent.

So my friend left to take her horse back home, and Milo and I worked a bit more briefly under saddle. It was one of those rides (and days) where I really reflect on Milo and I, and how far we have both come the past two years together. He really is such a nice horse. When hes working for me (as we was today) its amazing how well we work together, and how much he can give me.

I think sometimes about how difficult and embarrassing he can be, but I truly wouldnt change anything about him, because off of that is what makes Milo Milo. Cathy told me once: if he did what he was supposed to all the time it would be boring. And its so true. Milo teaches me so much about horsemanship, riding, and how to be a better person through patience. If I had a "ho-hum" horse, I wouldnt be as capable of a rider as I am. And Cathy is right, a horse like that is boring.

So heres to Milo. And to how far we have come together (and how much farther we have still to go!). There is a quote that I like, it goes "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead where this is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson." I like that.

No comments: