Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cold Day

We got our first snow of the season last night here in Kitsap County. This week its supposed to be down to the teens at night, so Milo's heavyweight blanket went on tonight after a workout, which went pretty well. Heres Milo in his brand new still clean blankey!




Excuse the blurryness, it was taken on my cell phone!

With cold weather here now, Ive been needing to take some extra cautionary procedures in my horse care. Tomorrow I need to buy two flat backed buckets to put his water in (his stall is an automatic waterer which froze last night), and warm the water before I leave each night. I heard some cool tips from others at the barn about encouraging drinking in the winter. One is to put a sweet tea in the hot water bucket. He already has a salt lick, which should encourage drinking.

Today I also had to spend a lot of extra time in cooling out. Spent ten minutes walking out with the saddle on after the ride, than walked into the barn and put his cooler on, and walked up and down the aisleway fro about another ten minutes. Scrubbed and groomed and he was mostly dry.

Ahh winter weather, making things more difficult. But I do enjoy a nice crisp ride in a few layers sometimes.

No comments: