Friday, October 23, 2009

Treating Tails

So now that its my day off I have a bit more time to update. I was having some problems with Milo and that fact that he seems afraid of the dark, so I called Cathy and she gave me a great suggestion. I've only tried it once now but I will keep working on it and see if goos results come from it.

But i do have a question if anyone is out there to read it or comment on it; I'm wondering how is the best way to deal with Milo's tail this approaching winter? Lots of people at my barn use tail bags and I have one, but I just dont know if I necessarily need to use it. Last year all I did was keep it in a braid, and it worked in keeping his tail in, but didn't promote growth. I don't really need to be keeping it in show worthy care, but he does have a thin tail so I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good way to keep the tail during the winter that will promote some growth.

A friend of mine used to use a twist in the tail, but I dont think it actually created any growth. I dont want to have to buy a bunch of products, but maybe one good one I can do. So, any suggestions? What works for you?

I just added this picture cause I like it =] I took it about 3 weeks ago now...you can see some fuzz is starting to come in on his neck.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Nina,

Love your blog! You might just inspire me to finally start my own.

When Grace was boarded at a barn I kept her tail in figure 8 knots. I should show you how to do it sometime. It's hard to explain, but I would divide the tail into 1 inch strands. Each strand would be looped into a loose figure 8 knot about 1/3 from the bottom of the tail. I used lots of Cowboy Magic Detangle and Shine and redid the knots about once a week. You've seen how crazy thick Grace's tail is now, that is nothing compared to how it looked when I used the figure 8 knots!
I prefer not to use tail bags. I have known of a few horses over the years who got thier tail bag caught on something (like a water bucket in a stall) and lost all the hair below the dock.
Looking forward to reading more of your blog!
Melissa

paint_horse_milo said...

Thanks Melissa! I found yours but was a bit sad to see there were no postings! Ya hit me up sometime I would LOVE to learn the figure 8!!