Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Few Updates, and a Realization

I havent been able to post much this week, I have been working the late shift which means that I get home at around 10:30, and in the mornings I have been trying to make it out to Milo before my shift. Exhausted after work and trying to get things done has left this blog a little silent the past few days. But here is a bit of a catch-up.

So the other day it seems, Diego was moved out of the pasture with Milo. I wasnt given a whole lot of details, but apparently they just werent getting along when it came to feed time, and Diego's leaser wasnt comfortable with Milo. So, as it stands now, Milo is alone and I'm not sure when or if anyone else will join him for company. He doesnt seem to mind, but I hope that come winter and the grass depletes, that Jake can come back down with Milo. We will just have to see.

I had a sort of epiphany moment the other day driving to work. I hear Sarah's voice running through my head as I realize as driving that I am sitting crooked. My right side is collapsed, and even my head is slightly turned one direction. Realizing this, I sit up more straight and bring my head to center. It only takes a few moments before I catch myself falling into the same holding pattern, and I try and correct myself again. I found this similar pattern in working, standing, or anything that I do. I lean onto my left leg, I dont stand perfectly square, I need to remember to stay in neutral posture as much as I can remember to.

It made me realize something, and give a little more lenience for Milo. No one is built perfectly, and no one is going to travel perfectly. Of course, there are minor things we can try and address and re-program within our bodies, but I for one am never going to move perfectly straight, or hold every part of my body in equivolance to the other. Why should I expect my horse to do the same thing? It isnt right to expect perfection. I can ask for straight, but I need to know that it cannot always be physically possible to be perfectly straight all of the time. Or to expect that one side be just as even as the other. Yes, we want both directions to mirror each other, but if we cannot do likewise, is it really fair to expect our horse to do so? I dont think so.

So, heres to a little clarity for Milo and I. Sure I want my horse to travel straight, to move balanced, and to stay engaged. But it's a good reminder that if I cannot be perfect in the way I move, than my horse certainly shouldnt be expected to. But I must say, our ridden work has been improving steadily this past week - we even have a stronger counter canter.

And as a last note, I wanted to share something I saw on facebook, in honor of our independence this weekend: She was there at Gettysburg and on the beaches of Normandy. She's been all around the world and even to the moon. Sabrina writes: "The American flag does not fly because of the wind that moves past it. It flies from the last breath of each military member who has dies protecting it. American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them... they fight because they love what's behind them." Let her fly!

2 comments:

Mary said...

That last quote choked me up a bit.
Good for you for not demanding perfection! You can always strive to be better, we all should, but realizing and accepting short comings is part of being human. Enjoy the holiday and most of all enjoy Milo!

in2paints said...

Definitely an interesting realization! We do demand a lot from our horses... a lot more, I think, than we demand of ourselves.

I love that quote! Happy Independence day to you, your family, and sweet Milo!