Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Saddle Pads

So my woven hunter green saddle pad is in need of replacing, after about 9 years of continued use. Its splitting and fraying where the cinch tightens. I absolutely love this pad. Its long and desiged to be folded over so its thicker than the plan mayatex woven pads, its probably about 3/4 thick when folded over (how I ride in it). I got it from horse.com and cannot for the life of my find it again. I think it may be discontinued. I am trying to find one similar in concept-woven with the fold over style so its still thick enough but also thin enough to be put over my cashel pad.


Obviously, Milo and I are the closest to the camera. Click the photo to enlarge.

Im also contemplating color schemes. I love turquoise on Milo its great - but every other sorrel out there uses turquoise. Red looked great on him at the rodeo too but I dont know if I want to go that bold everyday. Suggestions? What do you think would look good on Milo?

What pads do you use? What do you love about it? Any links, products, photos, anything welcomed!

And btw, Im looking to keep my price at $80 and under.


This may seem silly, but I kind of want the color to match my boots since my jeans are almost always tucked in when I ride. Here are my boot options to replace my current ones:

Ariat Crossfire (my current everyday boot-maybe to retire to riding boots?)

Double H Ice Boots (red is brighter in person). Im just not sure if I want a roper heel to ride in again.


*7/15/10 Update:
I ordered the H&H Boots! And I found the pad I want:
Now I just have to get the money to buy it! Its $149.95. Cant you just invision it on Milo? I think it will look pretty good on him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a deep plum purple? I do like the hunter green too.
I would take the blanket over the pad. The pad I ride with not that old and has holes and rips in it.
Hope that helps you!

Mare said...

Hmmmm...Turquise does look good on (mostly) sorrel horses, but I agree, it's over-used. My girl, Missy, is a (tobiano...not an overo) sorrel pinto, she's got more white the sorrel to her coat, but I LOVE the way Red goes with her sorrel coloring. Recently, Royal Blue was also tried on her, and though I was skeptical that it would "wash her out," I kinda liked the way it also looked...

paint_horse_milo said...

You know, Im leaning towards the red. I think the HH boots will hold up well in a work environment (as they would be used in!). My Ariats already have a year of wear on them, so I would probably need to replace them quicker if I did start riding in them. Whereas if I keep them as everyday type wear, they should live a longer life.

Here is a saddle pad I reallly like for Milo:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs036.ash2/35165_1374308843815_1414626529_30952826_7553073_n.jpg

I actually know the person who owns the saddle and horse too, so I may just ask where they got it (hope thats not copying!)

Mare said...

Ariats have always held up well for me. My current pair are Ariats, and they must put up with the mud, snow, dirt, manure, rain, shavings, ect. Thye don't get babied. LOL. I think red would look very nice on Milo. I LOVE the way it makes Missy's sorrel coloring stand out! I also really like that pad! Is it an actual pad, or just a saddle blanket?!

paint_horse_milo said...

Yes, it is an actual pad. Found it for 139.95 now....still dont want to spend that much!!

Mare said...

I can't blame you, it's pricey, but I do really like it...$13995 is better than $149.95...LOL