Monday, January 11, 2010

First Post of the New Year

For some reason or another, I havent found anything that interesting to post.

But today a friend of mine, and trainer at the barn I board at, gave me some really good pointers and advice in working with Milo. Here are a few things I still need to work on (but its always good to hear them again, and to write them down!):
Progression of aids - softer, medium, hard and disciplinary
Stop moving my feet, remain stationary
New way to disengage - bring rope to belly while using stick to move hindquarters
Instead of reacting to Milo blocking his rear with his shoulder by moving the shoulder away, try backing him instead
Also try backing before sending him out on the line, keep him thinking of staying out of my space.

It was a really good session for the both of us. I also got to work on my skills some more on a problem horse, and refresh my brain on the basics again.

My ride with Milo was good today too...thats about all.

No comments: