Friday, October 9, 2009

The Beginning

Well, this will be the start of my new (and pretty much first) blog. The purpose is to express those feelings that just overwhelm me - ones that are created because of my horse Milo. Those days that remind me why I love horses so much, or the days that make me want to quit, and all the important days in between.

I suppose I should start at the beginning...wherever that may be. Lets see...my name is Nina, I've been involved with horses for the past 11 years, and I truly could not see my life without them. I am not a trainer, but I have worked with a handful of horses and consider each experience with them successful (whatever that means), rewarding, and educating.

I currently own a gelding named Milo (Justa Cool Milo). He is five years old and a paint. I purchased him at the age of two with about ten rides or so on him, so he was considered "green". My intentions with him were to train towards Western Pleasure, and eventually show in my state's (WA) Pinto shows. Long story short, thats not what he or I want to do anymore. In 2008 we joined the Thunderbird Cowgirls Drill Team (www.thunderbirdrodeo.com more more info) and are loving it! We are also starting to train towards reined cowhorse, but are having difficulty with access to cows, so moreover just reining. I have had one lesson with a well known local trainer named Max, but take more regular lessons with one of this "students" Cathy. Milo and I are really loving this new kind of work that we are doing!

So I guess for my first entry I'll mention where we are in our training. Milo knows how to be soft and supple in the face, and for the most part in his body, are working on the basics of the "spin" or "turnaround", along with some other minor (but important!!) elements of reining. I have to say though; last week produced some phenomenal rides and milestones in Milo's (and my) training! He finally seemed to get the concept of staying round, supple, and balanced in a nice cadenced lope. I cant hardly even express how amazing it was (and is!)!

So I found myself riding him today, and am still so amazed, pleased, and proud of my little Milo, loping along like the wonderful horse he is. And I suppose here I can elaborate more about just who Milo is.

Milo is what I could call the "childlike" horse. He is so much a goofball it is really entertaining to anyone who spends any time with him. He actively plays with his giant purple jollyball in his stall and paddock, and is the type of horse that never tires from toys (and I doubt we will ever outgrow that - its just who he is and I wouldnt change it for anything). He also thinks that he knows best (but Mom, those barrels in the corner ARE going to eat me!!), but usually comes around and still pays attention and TRIES. Oh he tries so hard for me everyday. Milo has not ever really been a difficult baby or I suppose more of an adolescent. At just four years old, we participated in large parade with tons of noises and excitement, and he took it in stride. This past year we rode in the grand entry for the Thunderbird Rodeo and while he displayed some herdboundness to his girlfriend Margie before going into the arena, he payed perfect attention to me while we performed our pattern.

Hmm what else to say about him? I suppose more will surface as this blog progresses...but more now, I will finish this entry.

No comments: